Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Hilarious!


I was browsing flipkart for some popular books when an ad caught my attention: 

India's answer to Dan Brown
"Nail Biting Suspense"
- Hindustan Times


decoding a murder has never been this interesting

Then I checked out the book called "The Shadow Throne" for which this much build-up was given. Reading books by new Indian authors is always a tricky thing and even known authors produce substandard quality material over the time. 

However, this one had a rating of 4.1/5 out of 75 ratings. I was surprised because high rating with a lot of reviews is rare as in the case of Game of Thrones series or Millenium Trilogy. Then I came across this superb review:

a review on reviews for this book
There are 14 reviews for this book before me. Out of 14 reviewer, only one person has reviewed 2 other items including one book. Rest 13 people have reviewed only one item on Flipkart and that item is THIS book with five star rating.

You must wonder what is going on here. I guess this book is on it's way to Sahitya academy, Booker and whatever you can think of.

May be Flipkart should have a better way of verifying review or at least have some information about what rank the book is selling at like some other international book sellers, which certainly would help Flipkart customers in making a informed decision.

Can you beat this? :D 

So I continued browsing and checked out JK Rowling's Casual Vacancy. It had mixed reviews and I understood that plots such as these were not my thing anymore. Then I spotted something on the side pane which made me laugh. It was listed that "Engineering Thermodynamics  by PK Nag" was most bought by customers who bought the “Casual Vacancy”. So the majority of online shoppers for this JKR book happened to be our own Engg crowd :D


No comments: